Ergoseal Completes AS9100D Audit
Attaining an AS9100 certification is only the beginning for a company to establish itself as a trusted vendor in the aerospace sector. That hard-earned certification must be maintained over the years. Ergoseal completed its most recent audit on November 9, 2023.
AS9100D, released in 1999 and revised in 2001, is the international ISO 9000 derivative specifically for suppliers to the aerospace industry. AS9100 takes the ISO 9001:2000 quality management systems standard covering every step and department of the manufacturing process and adds aerospace industry-specific requirements.
This designation also addresses the flowdown of aerospace prime contractors’ quality management system requirements to suppliers and their subcontractors. Flowdown includes specifications for parts (such as fluid seals) or assembly designs, characteristics, inspections, and other process functions and product features.
AS9100D is widely regarded by prime aerospace contractors as a pivotal development in the history of quality management within the aerospace sector. Government agencies, including the Department of Defense and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), endorse AS9100D, though suppliers must still meet additional federal requirements.
The significant advantage of this certification lies in the reduction of compliance costs and time for suppliers, as it eliminates the need for adherence to multiple audited governmental standards that AS9100D consolidates. This industry-established standard also fills the void left by discontinued government programs.
About the audits
Highly regulated aerospace industry vendors undergo various audits to verify their quality and efficiency. Audits are essential to ensure compliance with industry standards, third-party regulations, and internal operations.
An AS9100D audit is a comprehensive assessment conducted to evaluate an organization's compliance with the standard and aims to ensure that the organization's quality management system is effectively implemented and consistently meets the requirements outlined in AS9100. It’s an inspection to see if a manufacturer not only uses an acceptable quality management system but also that their everyday work adheres to those plans.
The audit team reviews documentation related to the organization's quality management system and conducts on-site inspections to verify that the documented processes are being followed in practice.
The process concludes with the audit team providing feedback to the organization's management. Findings, including any non-conformities, observations, and positive aspects, are discussed and outlined in a detailed report. The report may also include recommendations for improvement or corrective actions.
In aerospace, the AS9100 audit is recommended to demonstrate legal compliance and enhance pilot and passenger safety. These audits help identify and prevent potential defects, ensuring the production of high-quality, competitively priced products with consistent standards. Companies may conduct these audits in-house or outsource them based on their size and requirements.
Here's why ongoing audits to measure compliance over time matter:
- Boosted Quality: AS9100D ensures rigorous quality management systems, resulting in reliable, consistent, and top-notch products.
- Enhanced Safety: Audits help identify and prevent potential defects in aerospace products, contributing to enhanced safety for pilots, passengers, and the general public. Stringent safety standards mean fewer accidents and greater peace of mind.
- Streamlined Processes: By evaluating internal operations and compliance, AS9100 audits help streamline processes and improve overall efficiency in aerospace manufacturing facilities.
- Increased Customer Confidence: Certification signals a commitment to excellence, attracting loyal customers.
- Competitive Advantage: Certification through AS9100D audits enhances a company's reputation, providing a competitive edge in the aerospace sector. Many aerospace customers and partners prioritize working with certified organizations.
- Identifying and addressing potential issues through audits minimizes the risk of defects, errors, and safety hazards, reducing the likelihood of costly recalls or accidents.
- Legal Compliance: AS9100D audits ensure that aerospace companies comply with legal requirements and industry standards. This is vital to avoid legal issues and sanctions.
Ergoseal’s initial certification and subsequent audits are part of an ongoing journey toward excellence. AS9100D certification is a testament to our unwavering commitment to our clients, aerospace and otherwise, and we will continue to work toward enhancing our processes, products, and services through training, assessment, improvement, and education.
If you're looking for a fluid sealing provider that goes above and beyond, choose one with an AS9100 certification. It’s a mark of quality and reliability you can count on.